Tools of the Trade

I have heard a lot of discussion this week at the FPDA/ISD Summit about the future of sales and the supply chain.  One of the topics within that discussion is about using technology to communicate, including social media.  In the past, face-to-face selling and follow ups by phone and mail were the standard.  Those were the tools of the trade for field sales people in most every industry.

Obviously, things have changed and continue to change in the area of communication.  I have even heard that communication trends have changed the actual need for field sales representatives.  Outside of serving existing customers, some experts feel that the value of face-go-face selling is declining, especially because so many people prefer to be contacted electronically.

When I started in the business world several decades ago, the briefcase and telephone were two of the key tools of the trade for sales people.



Ok, I am really dating myself here but you get the point.  For many years, sales people functioned without constant communication.  Now, with the proliferation of "communicate 24/7 devices" the game has changed dramatically and will continue to change.



That evolution includes much more than smart phones and tablets.  Now for salespeople to be more effective in communicating to their clients and prospects, social media has become prominent.  My own network includes Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.




So as things continue to change, my advice to everyone involved in marketing and sales is to stay up to date with all of the technology used to communicate, tools of the trade.  One key point that I would like to make is that each new addition to our communication tools does not replace or eliminate the old.

While I do not exactly carry the traditional briefcase, I do carry a backpack (probably a little out of date) and I have used the cell phone more than a desk phone.



Tools of the trade have changed.  What is next?  Any ideas?






Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for reading

We've Done It Again!!!

Another Fluid Power Resource from Fluid Power World