Ikigai

A few years ago, I listened to an audiobook by author Neil Pasricha titled The Happiness Equation.  I used it as a self-help book whether the audience intended it to be or not.  I found it to be very helpful.

One of the key concepts of the book was about finding your Ikigai, which I understood to be a purpose in life.  According to Wikipedia, Ikigai is a Japanese concept that means a reason for being.  As I recall, Pasricha advised that if your career is your Ikigai, then never retire.  

Interesting that at the NFPA Annual Conference in Miami last week, keynote speaker Fred Harburg brought up this concept again and in more detail than I remembered,


Take a look at the chart above and see if it applies to you.  The Ikigai is at the intersection of Love doing and being, Need, Rewarding, and Good at.  I really enjoyed Fred Harburg's talk and learned a lot about Ikigai.  Thanks NFPA for having Fred as a speaker.

For more information about NFPA and their upcoming meetings, visit their website.  For more insight into Ikigai, I recommend reading The Happiness Equation.  It is an enjoyable and interesting book and it lead me to reading another book by the author titled The Book of Awesome.

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for reading

Another Fluid Power Resource from Fluid Power World

Closing Out