It takes a community ... Part 1

Just as the old saying goes, It takes a village to raise a child, I contend that it takes a community to make a business professional.  Over the past 43 years, I have been blessed to have many great influences in my career as a business professional.  I would like to acknowledge some of my mentors and coworkers in that community that spans the whole 43 years.  I will mention some of them in the coming posts.

First, I acknowledge the late Michael Nassif who hired me to work on Hydraulics & Pneumatics magazine in 1977.  Not only did he hire me but he took me under his wing immediately and looked after me for the next 8 years.  Mike saw the potential in me to be a successful sales rep for H&P and despite my resistance, he finally convinced me to give it a try in 1984 with a small sales territory.

I know that I thanked Mike over the years for his confidence in me and his mentoring but I probably never thanked him enough.  He was the biggest influence in my career as sales rep, marketing manager, production manager, and Publisher of H&P.  I thank him now for helping to make my career possible!

Paul Rolnick was an Executive Vice President at Penton Publishing in 1977 and he referred me to Mike as a possible new employee.  Paul was the kindest, most sincere, most professional individual that I have ever encountered in the business world.  He too mentored me for many years before his retirement and kept in touch even after.  Not only was Paul a great business executive but he was a great man and a wonderful role model to me.  I thank the late Paul Rolnick for all that he did for me as a business professional and as a person!

Tobi Goldoftas was a giant in the fluid power industry and he was the Editor of Hydraulics & Pneumatics when I started there.  Tobi's passion for fluid power rubbed off on me and has stayed alive over the past 43 years.  I often think of Tobi when considering any technical aspect of fluid power.  He taught me a lot about the technology, but more importantly, he taught me to love the technology and for that I am grateful.  I thank Tobi for being a great Editor, great person, great friend, and big influence in my career!

More to come.



Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for reading

Another Fluid Power Resource from Fluid Power World

Closing Out